Steps to Follow for Successful Research
Six Steps to Turn Information into Knowledge
Follow the six steps to plan and produce a better assignment.
Step 1 - Define Or Deconstruct The Question
- Examine the question you have been asked to answer.
- Underline the key words to identify exactly what you have been asked to do.
- Identify the task words - things such as genre required, word limit, due date.
- What information do you know about the topic already?
- What do you need to find out?
Step 2 - Locate Information
- What will be the most useful resources to use to find the information required?
- What search terms or keywords will I use?
- Who can I ask for help?
Step 3 - Select / Analyse
- What information do I need to answer the question?
- Take notes and organise them according to the parts of the question.
- Determine how relevant the information is.
- Detect bias, stereotypes, inaccuracies.
- Keep track of quotes and resources for by Bibliography and referencing
Step 4 - Organize / Synthesise
- What sections of the question does this information fit into?
- Have I found enough information?
- What do I need to get rid of as irrelevant?
- What sub headings will I use to group the information I have found from different sources?
- Prepare my Bibliography
Step 5 - Present
- How can I present this information?
- What genre and form does it need to be - analytical, report, argument, etc
- Have I planned my writing for cohesion and logical structure?
- Have I read through my work carefully to eliminate errors and present a polished piece of work?
Step 6 - Evaluate
- What did I learn from this?
- Did I do as well as I thought?
- How can I improve the process of completing this work?