In this unit:
- You are encouraged to record your reflections on the study of Macbeth as a play and film.
- You will discuss the way the play was performed in Shakespearean times and how it has been interpreted for different audiences.
- You will view one production of Macbeth in depth and compare and contrast key scenes from different productions.
- You will explore how meaning is created and shaped by elements of film production.
Online resources for "Macbeth"
Macbeth, the Witchcraft and Superstitions of Shakespeare's times.
This podcast from the ABC has some interesting facts about Witchcraft in the times of Shakespeare.
Image from http://www.abc.net.au/local/global_includes/popup.htm?mediaurl=http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/201511/r1500076_22142436.jpg&caption=Witches&width=700
Theatre in Shakespeare's Time
use the following sites to explore the theatre in Shakespeare's time:
Aristotle's Definition of Tragedy
Macbeth is Shakespeare’s shortest tragedy, and tells the story of a brave Scottish general named Macbeth who receives a prophecy from a trio of witches that one day he will become King of Scotland. Consumed by ambition and spurred to action by his wife, Macbeth murders King Duncan and takes the throne for himself. He is then wracked with guilt and paranoia, and he soon becomes a tyrannical ruler as he is forced to commit more and more murders to protect himself from enmity and suspicion. The bloodbath and consequent civil war swiftly take Macbeth and Lady Macbeth into the realms of arrogance, madness, and death.
from Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macbeth
Read Aristotle's definition of tragedy.
Ipad App - Bell Shakepseare's "Starting Shakespeare"
Designed for students, Starting Shakespeare is a fresh, accessible and rich learning resource for students. The app explores the world and work of William Shakespeare using two of Shakespeare's best-loved plays, A Midsummer Night's Dream and Macbeth.
The rich content includes:
- Playful videos
- Engaging retellings
- Character profiles
- Historical information
- Active learning journeys
- Comprehensive free teacher handbook
Available: iTunes App Store
Platform: iOS (iPad only)